Friends of
Marshall Square Park
• West Chester, Pennsylvania

Meeting Minutes
August 3, 2005

Attending (15): Jeff Beitel, Holly Brown, Sue Casso, Becky Hamilton, Dan Hamilton, Dianne Herrin, Deb Pekala, Lane Randall, David Reese, Bob Rogers, Jim Salvas, Bill Scott, Linda Scott, Nancy Steenhusen, Anne Walters.

The following items were discussed:

  1. A discussion on the 501(c)(3) formation for the group was held and it was decided that the non-profit status should be pursued by a committee. There has been discussion that an “umbrella” organization might be formed for all of the parks in West Chester Borough. The committee should follow up on that idea and continue the research into options. The Friends of Marshall Square Park will get organized with officers, mission statement, regular meetings and project priorities.

  2. A report was given on the Recreation Commission meeting held on Tuesday the 2nd. Debbie, Jeff and Anne attended and introduced the Friends of Marshall Square Park to the members. Our priorities and concerns about the park were discussed. Tom suggested that we consider pursuing the consistent labeling of memorial trees like Everhart park has done. He also suggested that we pursue the authentic replacement of any trees in the park with those that were on the original plant list. Dog stations were discussed. The commission informed us that we do have one station near the fountain garden. We discussed adding another station on the opposite side of the park. We requested that we be placed on the agenda for the Recreation Committee meeting to be held on September 13.

  3. A discussion on project priorities for the park concluded with the decision to make the shed our number one priority for now. This will be communicated to the Recreation Commission on the 6th of September. We must prepare preliminary costs for the restoration to be presented.

  4. Jeff discussed our checking account that he opened. Our balance is $325.

  5. A discussion was held on the need for tree pruning, lighting and benches.

  6. Marybeth’s ideas for a mission statement and a draft mission statement prepared by Dianne were reviewed. It was agreed we would vote on our final mission statement at the next meeting.

  7. A discussion was held on the best structure of officers and it was decided that the group should appoint a President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer. Anne will be President, Jeff will be Vice President/Treasurer and Dianne will be Secretary.

  8. Jeff proposed that we vote on significant decisions only after issues are posted in the minutes and all members of the group have an opportunity to vote. The group agreed.

  9. Lane volunteered to work on a web page for the group.

  10. A discussion was held about the formation of various committees. It was concluded that the committees should be reviewed, selections made and volunteers designated. Holly volunteered for the fundraising committee. The committee selections should be made at the next meeting.

  11. Dan Hamilton volunteered to call Shelagh to volunteer for the open seat on the Recreation Commission. Way to go, Dan!

  12. The last Wednesday of the month at 7:00 PM was selected for the meetings of the group. Confirmation on the availability of a meeting room must be made with the Borough.

  13. Bill presented Marybeth’s cards of the park. Everyone admired them and it was suggested that they would be a great fundraiser for the group. It was mentioned that local businesses and the Historical Society shop might be interested in them.

  14. The meeting was adjourned at approximately 8:25 PM with the next meeting scheduled for Wednesday, August 31st at 7:00 PM at the Borough Hall.

Group action items:
  1. Please review/comment on the draft mission statement/objectives/goals (attached) and send your comments to by Monday, August 29.

  2. Think about what makes the most sense as far as our committee structure, and come to the next meeting with your input.

Help pass the word!!

Please let me know if you find errors and omissions in these minutes.